How to install an update
When an update is available, we'll notify you on your phone. After you see the notification, pick a convenient time to install the update on your phone. The process can take up to an hour.If you miss the notification or don't have time to install the update, we'll remind you again in a few days.
Connect your phone to your primary computer – the first one you connected your phone to – using the USB cable that came with your phone.If you're using a different computer than you normally use, please see some important information in the Notes below.
If the Zune software doesn't start automatically when you connect your phone, start it manually.
We might ask you to update the Zune software. If we do, just follow the on-screen instructions. Then restart the sync software.
In the Zune software, click Update Now.Make sure you keep your phone connected to your computer until you see a notification that the update is complete.
- When you connect your phone to a PC for the first time, the Zune software will automatically create a primary sync relationship between your phone and that computer. Other computers you connect to after that will have a guest sync relationship with your phone. Your primary computer remembers your linked phone and all of its settings and history, so it's the only computer that will create a backup of your phone during the update process. That's why we recommend that you only use your primary computer to update your phone software. If you need to use a different computer, see Synchronising your phone to another computer.
- To see if an update is available for your phone, on Start, flick left to the Application list, press Settings , then press Phone update.
- By default, your phone uses your mobile data connection to check for updates and notifies you when an update is found. To change the type of connection for future updates, do this: on Start, flick left to the App list, tap Settings , then tap Phone update.
- Although we notify you "over the air" (via your phone's data connection) when an update is available to download, we don't deliver the actual software update in this way. You must connect your phone to your computer to download and install available updates.
- When you install an update, all of your settings, apps and media files are preserved.